May 11, 2016 - SED District Meeting
Topic: Update on Motions being Considered in the APTA House of Delegates
Speaker/Facilitator: Robin Dole, PT, DPT, EdD, PCS (Chief Delegate, PPTA)
Description: Please join others from the district for an evening discussing policy issues that will affect the future direction of the Association and the profession. The evening features a discuss of motions that will be debated in APTA House of Delegates, which is the policy-making body of the Association. The House meets annually for 3 successive days in June, during which delegates make decisions on issues that may have far-reaching implications for the association and for the profession of physical therapy.
Some of the motions that will be presented and discussed address a number of charges to APTA that include:
- Advocacy for enhancements to community design to promote physical activity and active forms of transportation (RC-2&3);
- Address the use of professional credentials appearing after your name (RC-5);
- Develop and implement strategies to promote recognition and understanding of clinical specialization by the public (RC-6);
- Create a new area of clinical specialization in oncology (RC-8);
- Pursue strategies to ensure that relevant research publications, clinical guidelines, payment and practice policies accurately represent physical therapy (RC-10);
- Taking active steps to allow PTs to not just have the practice authority but also receive appropriate payment for ordering and performing imaging studies (RC-12);
- Create and maintain a virtual physical therapy museum in recognition of the Association's 100th birthday in 2021 (RC-15); and,
- Address the problem of student debt in PT by understanding the effect of student debt on the profession, and, ultimately, society, and to take steps to ameliorate the issues (RC-11)
- If you are an APTA member, please visit the House of Delegates Community to view the text of the actual motions being discussed and the background papers for each motion.
The delegates residing in the SED will be present at the meeting and look forward to hearing your views about the motions that will be discussed.
245 North 15th Street (Southeast corner of Vine and 15th)
Philadelphia, PA 19102
Parking: After 5:00 PM, parking is available at the PPA Gateway Parking Garage for $5.00.
August 2016 - TBD
PAC event - Tailgating and the Philadelphia Union Soccer Game
For those who missed this event last year it was a blast. Come out for a great time of tailgating with your PT friends and the Philadelphia Union Soccer game.